Project: Skill4Work (Work-Based Learning)
City of visit: Berlin, Germany
Date of visit: 12. – 16. January 2015
Name: Miran Kozmus
Organization: ŠC Kranj, Srednja tehniška šola
Summary: Techer’s point of view
During the study visit I was particularly interested in the role of the teacher in the learning process, either in the dual system or in full time system. I was interested in weekly teaching obligation, professional development opportunities, educational equipment and teaching aids for teachers and students. It would be interesting to see yet another educational program, which is not so bound to obtain international certifications (Cisco).
The German education program (Full time system) is quite similar to Slovenian. The difference is in the definition of what is secondary technical school and what is college. Some courses and curricula are similar to Slovenian secondary technical school (1st or 2nd year of education) and the other to our college. The weakness of our college is that is focused on acquiring international certificates. Slovenian colleges are mostly formed from secondary technical schools.
The dual system in Slovenia is poorly represented and if, in relation to micro-enterprises (up to nine employees). I have no practical experience with the Dual system in School Centre Kranj we do not have such a program.
In the German dual system I see advantages and disadvantages. Both have their reasons.
- Employers and theChamber of Commerce and Industryisaware of the importanceof qualitytechnicalpersonneland are therefore preparedto do something(scholarships, teaching centers).
- Larger companies can implementa dual system ofeducation more easily and with higher quality.
- Possibility ofre-enrollmentin an educational
- The possibility of obtaininginternational certificates.
- Activerole of the Chamber of Commerceinterms of the organizationof final exams, finding opportunities for the learning placements, providing career guidance…
- Active monitoringof students(dual system) in enterprises.
- Solidarityof all those who are involved with the student.
- Despite the awarenessof qualitytechnicalpersonnel,young peopledue tomoresimplecontinuation of thestudy rather decideforFulltimesystem.
- The agedifferenceof studentsin the educational programis not necessarilyan advantage.
- The impact ofprecariouswork on thedual system.
- Inactivemonitoring ofstudents (full time system); companiesare only interested inworkingcompetencies.