A few things have come to mind after our time together in sunny Northern Ireland for the SERC Study Visit:
Successful placements happen when there is:
- Good communication between the three partners: College to Student and Placement Provider.
- College staff (tutors and Work Placement Officers) working closely with students and providers, building a relationship (and maintaining the relationship with providers for future placements) – leading to a good match!
- Staff with a passion and interest in the Placements.
- Staff development for College staff when necessary.
- Clear procedures and expectations for all three partners.
- Preparation for Students and Placement Providers before commencement.
- Assessments/visits during the placement.
- Evaluations by Placement Providers and Students afterwards.
- Analysis of these evaluations and information acted on.
We all have staff in each college who go ‘above and beyond’ what is expected from them.
Just a few thoughts……..